La Tierra Montessori School of the Arts and Sciences is a charter school that serves K-7 students in Española, NM and the surrounding communities.
Our Montessori inspired philosophy uses a multi-sensory, child-centered approach to develop academic, social emotional, and creative skills. Our teachers understand that children are naturally inquisitive and learn at different rates. We believe that the purpose of education is to serve the nature of the child as an individual.
Agricultural Science is integral to our program. Students have the opportunity to help beautify the campus through landscaping and permaculture projects. Students learn basic agriculture skills through growing and tending vegetables in our greenhouses, caring for our pollinator garden, and maintaining the compost bins.
We have identified five essential characteristics of optimal learning:
- Supporting the intellectual, emotional, and physical health of the whole child through a Trauma Informed model.
- Carefully observing each student to understand her unique learning style and using these observations to inform the appropriate curricular approach.
- Ensuring that all material is meaningful, thought provoking, multicultural, and relevant.
- Using the arts as a medium to open creative and cognitive pathways for students of diverse learning styles.
- Emphasizing personal responsibility and choice at school, in the community, and at home.
La Tierra incorporates:
– Individualized Learning
– Experiential Science
– Spanish Heritage Language
– Integrated Arts
– School Garden
– Run Walk Club
Click at the link above to view or download the charter